As the world has moved towards technology, we live in an age in which it is possible to obtain knowledge from any part of the world from any place, any time, and from everyone. The newest development of technology is the one where education is distributed around the world in the form of bits and bytes. A student who can only dream of being part of a college in the other part of the globe can now sit at home and research the course the college has to offer.
The benefits of online classes:
- Accessible. In the online class, living expenses, travel expenses, new culture changes, moving away from home and family etc. can be avoided.
- Realistic. According to the student’s preference, classes can be attended at any location and at any time.
- Without disturbances. No other student out there is going to interrupt the class. It is possible to obtain uninterrupted learning.
- The materials can be processed for a long time and used. In particular, some videos containing lectures offer the option of downloading and re-viewing. Therefore, if there is a doubt, the same can be repeated many times without really upsetting any instructor as such.
Disadvantages of these kind of classes could be:
- One has to have an access to the Internet.
- Backup for power supply is a must. Otherwise important updates can be missed out.
- If there is an issue with the subject or anything else, immediate aid cannot be assured. As it is online, a query sent will be answered only if there is someone online on the other end. If not, the student has to wait until a response comes back.
- There is no interaction with others. It is an isolated form of learning.
The advantages of offline classrooms:
- The process of learning is not isolated.
- There is an instructor or a teacher present at all times to answer the student’s queries.
- Exchange of ideas and views in offline classrooms is “real-time” and effective.
- Probability of learning is high. As there are other students learning along and sharing knowledge
- Any doubts and problems can be solved immediately.
Disadvantages of offline classrooms:
- It is not completely an independent way of learning.
- The students tend to be overly dependent on the teacher for every detail.
- Travel expenses, accommodations etc must be taken care of, if the student hails from a place where there is no school or educational institution.
- The learning is confined to fixed timings. It can only occur between the classroom’s timings.
- Chances of exploring more and finding things out for themselves from the students is limited. Therefore, each has its own pros and cons.
- When the distance and funding is considered, online classes are much better than offline classes. If there is no issue with the distance and expenses, offline classes are a much better choice.
Hence, as per a student’s convenience these types of classes are effective in their own ways.